Deadline: April 27, 2022
Applications are open for the 2022 Texas Agricultural Finance Authority (TAFA) Young Farmer Grant Program. The purpose of this program is to provide financial assistance in the form of dollar-for-dollar matching grant funds to young agricultural producers who are engaged or will be engaged in establishing or expanding an agricultural business in Texas.
The TAFA Young Farmer Grant Program aims to:
- Develop and support Texas agriculture
- Help meet a financial need that otherwise would not be met
- Help grow an operation that also has an impact on the community
- TAFA funds will not be used to support hobby farming. A hobby farm is a small-scale farm that is primarily for pleasure rather than a commercial enterprise.
- The scholarships range from $5,000 to $20,000.
- Grant funds cannot be used for the purchase of fixed assets (personal or other capital goods with a unit cost of more than $5,000)
- Grant applications will be accepted from anyone 18 years of age or older, but under the age of 46 on the application deadline, who is engaged or will be engaged in the establishment or expansion of agriculture in Texas.
- Entries that simply offer to support an existing agricultural business are not eligible for an award under this program.
- Corporations, LLCs, partnerships, or other types of foreign or domestic entities are not eligible for rewards under this program. The Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) will immediately disqualify any application filed on behalf of a corporation, LLC, partnership, or other types of foreign or domestic entities.
- The applicant must be able to make matching expenditures dollar for dollar to support, create or expand the proposed project.
- Applicant must be a US citizen and applicants must reside and operate in Texas.
- Grant funds will not be awarded to multiple family members applying for funding for the same project.
- To be eligible for a grant, the applicant must have a substantial interest in the business or agricultural operation identified in the application that the project will impact.
- Each individual grant applicant must clearly describe a separate project and demonstrate how the individual grant applicant will independently benefit from the grant.
- An applicant who has a family, professional, or business relationship with an executive, officer, or employee of TDA, or a member of the Board of Directors of TAFA, is not eligible for a grant and cannot participate in the YFG program. . A familial relationship is defined as a relationship of the third degree of consanguinity or the second degree of affinity, as stated in Chapter 573 of the Texas Government Code.
Applicants must submit one (1) complete, electronically signed grant application package for review. The complete online application package, including application, must be RECEIVED by 11:59 p.m. CDT on Wednesday, April 27, 2022.
Applications cannot be completed after the submission deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure timely delivery of all required materials.
Download the application documents:
For more information, visit TAFA grants.